Americanism Essay Contest Deadline is 12/15
Americanism Essay Contest
The Americanism essay contest this year has a few new things to celebrate. After many years of having only two divisions this year we will be adding two more divisions. Each grade level will now have its own division. Fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth will now be judged separately. First place in each division wins $1,000, second place wins $500, and third place wins $250 from Grand lodge. The State Association will also award $100 for first place, $75 for second place and $50 for third place in each division as a monetary gift as well as other awards.
This year’s theme is “What is your American Dream“ and must be turned into your local Lodge for judging no later than December 15th. Each level of judging will send the top (3) in each division to be judged at the next level. The deadlines for each level of judging are as follows;
- Student sends essay to local lodge no later than December 15, 2022
- Local lodge sends to district chairperson no later than January 31, 2023
- District chairperson sends to State chair no later than February 28, 2023
- State chair sends to Contest Administrator no later than March 31, 2023
Important rules to remember include; Essays must be typed, or legibly printed in ink (by the entrant); essays must be submitted to the lodge nearest their address; participants must be identified by name,grade,attending school,and the sponsoring Elks lodge; the cover page must be attached to the essay and will follow it through every level of judging.
The grading criteria are:
- Originality. This is where you should avoid to use of worn-out words and phrases (30points)
- Development of the theme. Stay focused on ideas and thoughts of the theme – don’t ramble (40 points)
- Mechanics and neatness. Use proper spelling,grammar, and punctuation. (30 points)
This important patriotic contest gives school children the chance to express their pride in America while fostering our youths appreciation and respect for patriotism.
Do all you can to publicize and promote this contest.The Americanism committee and Elks all across the country enthusiastically endorse this program because patriotism is one of BPOE’s greatest cornerstones.
Art Brault, PDDAmericanism State Chairman